Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Nana's Pumpkin and Walnut Bread


One of my favourite childhood memories is going to my Grandma's house. Nana, as I used to call her, would always have something delicious baking or a plate of fresh cookies waiting for me. I was so excited whenever I got to help her bake, whether it be rolling out cinnamon buns or gathering blackberries for a pie. And of course, anything Nana baked was always perfect.


When my Nana passed away her recipe book was given to my Aunt, and I've recently received a photocopied version of it. It's full of handwritten recipes for baked goods, quick and easy dinners, side dishes, fried pastries and everything else. Some recipes I can remember her baking and some I can't, but they all sound amazing anyways and I'd love to eventually attempt each one.

This pumpkin bread recipe is taken directly from my Nana's recipe book, just as she had written it (I've only added directions). She doesn't specifically say what type of nut to use, but it most likely would have been walnuts. Also, we don't have canned pumpkin here in Australia so I've made my own puree, which is very simple (directions below). This bread is moist and full of flavour, and tastes even better while still warm with a generous spread of butter.



Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Method
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius, or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the chopped nuts and stir to combine.
4. Add pumpkin puree, oil, water and eggs to the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
5. Pour pumpkin batter into a lightly greased bread pan and bake for 60 minutes.
6. Serve warm with a generous amount of butter.

To make your own Pumpkin Puree
1. Chop or peel away pumpkin flesh from the outer skin. Remove and discard pulp.
2. Boil in a pot of water until pumpkin is soft.
3. Drain the pumpkin. Return to the pot and mash until smooth.

4 comments:

  1. ООООооо ,smells delicious!Again something tasty offerings.Trusted your recipe :Lemon, Ginger and Honey Cupcakes with Lavender But...Thank you!If you look here:http://vkusnosbety.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-post_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for using my recipe. I'm glad they turned out well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread looks amazing. Your Nana would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely comforting recipe :) really looks like it turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete