Zest of 1 large lemon (or 2 small lemons)
2 tsp ground ginger
5 egg yolks
200 grams plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
Lavender Buttercream Frosting
200 grams butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
½ cup whole milk
1 tsp lavender buds, or culinary lavender
Purple food colouring (gel or powder)
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake papers.
2. Beat the butter, 130 grams sugar, honey, zest, and ginger on medium speed for 5 minutes.
3. Drop in egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift flour and baking powder and mix into the batter.
5. In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add in 45 grams sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks.
6. Gently fold egg whites into batter, making sure to incorporate everything without over mixing.
7. Spoon cupcake batter into paper filled tins until ¾ full leaving a small space at the top for cupcakes to rise.
8. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and cupcakes are a golden colour.
9. Let the cupcakes rest in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully remove and place on wire rack to cool.
For the Lavender Buttercream
1. Place ½ cup milk into a small saucepan with lavender and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
2. Cover the pan and let it sit for 15 minutes so that the lavender infuses with the milk.
3. Pour lavender milk into a cup and place in the refrigerator for a further 30 minutes to cool.
4. Remove milk from refrigerator and strain to remove lavender buds. Set milk aside.
5. Beat butter and sugar together until the butter starts to turn a creamy ivory colour (approx. 5 mins).
6. Add half of the lavender milk and purple food colouring and mix to combine.
7. Taste frosting; add more lavender milk or sugar if needed.
8. When cupcakes have cooled, frost generously with lavender frosting. Enjoy with some Earl Grey tea... yummy!